Monday, March 2, 2009


Those Naughty Women of Storyville

I was fortunate enough to speak again about my favorite subject - The Naughty Women of Storyville. This time I was invited to speak at a conference of Internal Medicine physicians and their wives and/or significant others held at the Monteleone Hotel in the French Quarter here in New Orleans on February 28, 2009.

What a great time! My husband, Patrick, accompanied me and helped carry my stuff - unfortunately we forgot my camera - so no Kodak moments were had.

My husband was shocked to see the chancellor of LSU Medical School there - someone he works with - so now he has some 'splaining to do at the next meeting as to what his wife does!!

I got some laughs, and I believe they were truly interested in what was said. Even though I sometimes make light of this time of New Orleans history, the life of a girl who ended up as a prostitute during the 1800/1900s was an awful life. Disease, suicide, depression and despair was not uncommon. Men took advantage of them at every turn. And of course every politician and police officer was on the take - so no protection there either. A sad life for sure. They truly were the stronger sex as I have always said about us females. And, as it is even to this day, the "johns and pimps" are not ever arrested it seems...

Juliette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julie, I wish I could hear you speak some time. Your posts are so interesting, and I know you have a great sense of humor. Congratulations on your rising fame - or is that notoriety?? :)
Jan